Canon G12 vs Nikon P7000
September 15, 2010
Here’s another interesting comparison between Nikon’s new rival to Canon’s G series camera. Nikon wasn’t a big player in this sub DSLR space before the recent announcement of the Nikon CoolPix P7000, but check out what they had to bring to the plate against the new Canon G12. Both cameras have DSLR like functionality with manual control of shutter and aperture and come in with 10 megapixels. Estimated price around $500 dollars, these two cameras are HD video capable at 720p @ 24fps (interesting they would use only 24fps). 30fps can be achieved when shooting at 640 x 480, but you know what they say. Once you go HD you never go back. Ok maybe i’m the only one who says it, let’s move on.
Canon’s G12 can do an ISO of 3200 while Nikon can move up to ISO 6400. (It might be a terrible 6400 so i’m not looking into that feature so much). The Nikon P7000 zoom is rated at 28-200mm while Canon’s G12 sits at 28-140mm. Canon’s G12 LCD is a tad smaller at 2.8″ than the Nikon P7000’s 3″ and the G12 LCD also has a lower resolution. C’mon Canon get in the game here. Ok here you go – Canon does have the upper hand in maximum shutter speed set to 1/4000ths while Nikon maxes out at 1/2000ths. Canon is also throwing in their new found love for Vari-Angle LCD that seems to be appearing on all their new gear including the Canon SX30 IS and Canon 60D. Feature wise, Nikon is definitely hitting hard this year and I expect them to gain some fair market share in at least entry level DSLR’s and sub DSLR’s. They are finally bringing down their prices to compete with Canon’s new lineup. Everyone is still waiting for each brand to pull the big rabbit out of the hat at Photokina in a few weeks, shortly afterward we’ll start seeing some real live comparisons.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Rob S. on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Robert on Best Video Monopod Sirui vs Benro vs Manfrotto
- Enrique on 650 watt Lighting Kit Review – ‘As Arri’
- Cassius on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Craig on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Steve Rawlins on Z1 Rider GoPro HERO3 HERO4 Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Mounted on Audio Boom Pole
- OldCorpse on Best Video Monopod Sirui vs Benro vs Manfrotto