Canon 60D Video Stabilizer – First Flight Glidecam HD4000
September 25, 2010
Wait! Just gotta say sorry about the mess, I just bought the place and still moving crap in. Boxes everywhere, don’t know where to put anything yet. Hey you’re lucky i’m even sharing this test video, it’s almost Midnight! Yeah and it might be a bit dark too, I wasn’t going for quality here, just trying to get this darn thing balanced. So I have an early music video shoot tomorrow in which I thought I would do ALL Canon 60D’s so I can break her in and get faster at the menu and settings. There will be three Canon 60D’s on set. I didn’t have the Glidecam HD1000 Stabilizer here, so I had to balance the Glidecam HD4000 Stabilizer. (always balance your rig the night before, saves time).
The 60D doesn’t have the Canon Battery Grip BG-E9 just yet, and i’m shooting with the the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens. BTW, I’m loving that lens. Not much fisheye/barrel distortion as I thought it would have. The entire unit is just way too light for a beast like the Glidecam HD4000 Stabilizer. So in order to correct this, I placed weights above the camera on the hot shoe.
Yes, you can add weights under the camera, but the hot shoe was a simple way to add or remove weights, keep things almost centered with the camera weight, and also easy to shift it around for additional fine tuning balance. It’s a pretty cool setup actually which would work great with some stabilizers that lack fine tuning adjustments. You can add a simple flat bar to the hot shoe and shift it around to center that camera weight. So i’m very close to having it balanced, the rest can be done by moving the lower sled up or down to make it either bottom heavy or top heavy. Check out the video above, and the photos of how I added the weights to the camera with a threaded hot shoe mount. You can find those mounts in this article: http://cheesycam.com/mounting-zoom-h1-on-camera/ or find some below.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
- Glidecam HD4000 BTS with Canon 60D + Steadicam Vest » CheesyCam
- iPhone and GoPro Steadicams » CheesyCam
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- John M on NAB 2015 Dracast PLUS Series LED Light Panels
- Emm on 2 Minutes of Uncut Video Footage Demo DIY 3-Axis MiniGimbal Kit
- Emm on Bluetooth Module and Winbook 7″ Tablet for Configuring SBGC Alexmos Gimbal Controllers
- Emm on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal
- seenematic on NAB 2015 Lensse Dual Follow Focus S5
- Matt on 2 Minutes of Uncut Video Footage Demo DIY 3-Axis MiniGimbal Kit
- Matt on Bluetooth Module and Winbook 7″ Tablet for Configuring SBGC Alexmos Gimbal Controllers
- Jacob on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal