Step Filter + Variable ND Filter + Rubber Hood
January 7, 2012
A few days ago I posted about using Rubber Hoods as an inexpensive solution to shading your glass (as opposed to Matte Boxes). The LCW – Light Craft Workshop Digi Pro ND Filter starts with a 77mm thread and cones out to an 82mm thread. Since these ND filters can be pretty expensive, you can adapt one ND to several lenses by using cheap step up filter rings. The same idea goes for other filters like a CPL – Circular Polarizer. If you plan to do this, you want to make sure that you get the largest ND filter available to cover all your lenses. The one problem you’ll run into is that you can no longer use the stock lens hood, so a cheap fix is to use these folding rubber lens hoods. Here’s a look at how it all comes together.
When shopping for Step Up filters, make sure the first number is smaller than the second. There is such a thing as ‘Step Down Filters’ which you probably won’t have much use for. Not sure about the thread size of your lens? Normally you’ll find the information on the lens itself, but another tip is to look carefully for tiny numbers on the back of your Lens Cap. Rubber lens hoods can be for under $5 bucks (click here).
Rubber Lens Hoods – via Amazon
Cheaper of course if you check on eBay
Folding Rubber Lens Hoods
I don’t suggest stacking a step up on top of another step up. This could work in a pinch, but it will have a slimmer profile if you use just one. I’m using a 77mm LCW Digi Pro Variable ND filter, so to save myself the headache, I ended up purchasing (2) of every filter size up to 77mm. There’s only about 7 common sizes to cover most DSLR lenses you’ll come across from 49mm-77mm, 52mm-77mm, 55mm-77mm, 58mm-77mm, 62mm-77mm, 67mm-77mm, and 72mm-77mm.. Depending on the size of the ND or CPL you’re trying to adapt to, you might want to do the same. For Step up filter rings, they run as low as $1 dollar + Free shipping.
Lens Metal Threaded Step Up Filter Rings
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- bestavi on NAB 2015 Lensse Dual Follow Focus S5
- josh miller on NAB 2015 Lensse Dual Follow Focus S5
- eddie on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal
- Bobby Washington on Big Balance Gimbals – PhotoPLus Expo 2014
- John M on NAB 2015 Dracast PLUS Series LED Light Panels
- Emm on 2 Minutes of Uncut Video Footage Demo DIY 3-Axis MiniGimbal Kit
- Emm on Bluetooth Module and Winbook 7″ Tablet for Configuring SBGC Alexmos Gimbal Controllers
- Emm on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal