Mini $26.00 LCD Very Usable for EVF Project
January 3, 2011
So I tested some playback on the GH2 with this mini-lcd, but that wasn’t the test I was hoping for when I first got this LCD. The Panasonic GH2 will only output in recording mode through the HDMI. It can only ‘playback’ through Composite. The Canon cameras can output from Composite, so I brought in the AV cables that are provided in the box. It’s great to see that the LCD actually scales the input properly too. Something else that’s pretty cool. When the Canon is displaying the Live View, it doesn’t use the entire 3.5″ LCD. Why is that cool? Because I threw on one of those magnetic frames for my LCDVF for 3″ LCD’s and it’s just about a perfect fit over the displayed image.
The tests with the Canon 60D are awesome, and much more than I expected from a sub $26.00 dollar LCD. It’s definitely usuable for my DIY EVF ( Electronic View Finder ) Project. Might not be compared to other EVF’s (coming) on the market, but for under $26.00 dollars, i’m not complaining. It does what I need it to do for now. My plan now is to mount a 1/4×20 Nut to the rear of the LCD and use a Friction Arm to position it wherever I want. [Update] Did it.
This should also work perfectly with my GoPro HD camera as well, since the GoPro lacks it’s own LCD. Here’s another cool little kicker, since you’re all wondering how it’s powered up. As I expected, it doesn’t even require 12Volts to run. I attached it to a simple 9Volt battery. Yes 9 volt battery people, that’s all it takes to power this bad boy up. One thing I was noticing though is that the exposure wasn’t as good with the 9 Volt battery. I think even though it turns on, it’s under powered and causes the display not to look as good as it can be.
If you’re searching for this mini monitor too, this is how the LCD looks (below). It’s a bit confusing since resolution is listed differently depending on the auction, but I think they are all the same. It’s a 3.5″ LCD with Composite input. If you see one like this, it’s probably it. More to come with these Mini-LCD’s from Cheesycam for sure…..
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Tery Wilson on MustHD M-701 / M-501 (7 inch / 5 inch) LCD Monitors
- Alex on CAME-TV CAME-SINGLE RAW Uncut Unedited Footage
- Digital Dub on Sony’s latest A6300 APS-C Camera with 4K Internal Recording
- JKPinPDX on Sony’s latest A6300 APS-C Camera with 4K Internal Recording
- Hawkeye Pierce on Weird 60p HDMI Output on Sony A7sII and Sony A7rII to BlackMagic Video Assist Recorder Monitor
- Barry on Sony’s latest A6300 APS-C Camera with 4K Internal Recording
- Emm on CAME-TV CAME-SINGLE RAW Uncut Unedited Footage
- Emm on Sony’s latest A6300 APS-C Camera with 4K Internal Recording