Metabones Canon EF to Sony Adapter
February 29, 2012
Excited about the new Canon 5D Mark III announcements? It’s been rumored all over the web that they may have an official statement by end of the week – possibly this Friday. Although I might be excited about better video quality, I have to admit there’s a part of me that already knows this new camera will still have it’s limitations around video. Canon makes no secrets about purposely limiting their DSLR line of cameras so that it doesn’t cannibalize their true high end video line.
Still waiting for this final camera to be released from Canon, i’m on hold about the FS100. Once I know the specs on the Canon 5D Mark III, i’ll have a better idea on which direction i’ll be going for the next year. With Canon’s EF or EF-S lenses, aperture needs to be controlled electronically. Having invested in so many Canon EF lenses, if you wanted to adapt it to the MFT cameras, you could use something like the RedRock Live Lens adapter (seen here).
One solution to using Canon EF lenses on a Sony E-Mount is the Metabones adapter. This adapter translates the controls in a Sony camera to communicate with a Canon lens. The first release of this adapter had issues with cameras like the Sony NEX-7, so I held off until things got squared away. The latest firmware version 2.0 in the adapter now supports the NEX-7 so you’ll be able to control the aperture values in the lens direct from the camera. It’s a rare piece right now, and are constantly out of stock over at their website (found here).
If you’re trying to adapt lenses to a smaller Micro Four Thirds or Sony E-Mount there are cheaper Fotodiox Adapters (like these), but you might also want to consider the slightly more expensive Metabones, as they make some great quality adapters to fit Nikon, Canon, Leica lenses, etc. (click here).
Metabones Lens to Camera Adapters
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on Manfrotto Compatible Quick Release Adapter
- Emm on DIY 3D Printed Filter Clamp for Cinema Prime Lenses WonderPana Filter Holder
- Sidd on DJI Black Friday Deals Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 Pro
- Emm on Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens vs new Rokinon XEEN 85mm T1.5 Cine Prime
- Erik on Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens vs new Rokinon XEEN 85mm T1.5 Cine Prime
- ronn on Rokinon 135mm T2.2 Cine DS Lens Sale
- Anmol Mishra on Manfrotto Compatible Quick Release Adapter
- VanWeddings on Preorder SLR Magic 50mm F/1.1 Cine Prime Lens for Sony E Mount