Latest Gini Follow Focus – iFocus Review
October 25, 2011
Here’s a closer look at Gini’s latest Follow Focus a.k.a. ‘iFocus’. Having been a huge fan of the Cinevate Durus design and quality, it was very obvious where Gini was getting inspiration from. I took the chance of ordering this latest FF knowing that it would be good. Especially since it’s a custom designed gearbox and not the ol’ Huco plastic Box. The craftmanship on this entire FF is like any other Gini part. Flawless machining, quality anodizing, and smooth finish. Absolutely no plastic on this follow focus system (except for marking ring).
The marking disc holds strong with 4 powerful magnets. The hand knob (obviously influenced) is large and comfortable with a standard mount in the center for a whip or crank. The Gini FF gear is ‘reversible’ and can be used on both left and right side of your rig by removing the rod clamp and swapping the position. The design is tall enough to hit lens gears on a variety of different sized lenses – No riser required (a problem some FFs have because they aren’t designed tall enough). To put weight in to perspective, the Durus is 19.4 ounces and the Gini iFocus is 19 ounces, both very solid units.
The one thing that Gini falls short on is the marking disc pointer. It can only be used at the top position and makes it hard for you to see if you’re standing from behind the camera. It would be nice to see that changed in future versions, and a couple of hard stops would make this one hell of an FF. Of course, I jumped on the deal early, but who knows where prices will be as this FF becomes more popular. You can find the Gini Rig parts following the link (click here).
Gini iFocus DSLR Follow Focus
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
- Gini iFocus Follow Focus – BIN Price » CheesyCam
- Speed Crank Follow Foocus » CheesyCam
- Spot the Difference – Gini Follow Focus » CheesyCam
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Tom on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- Tushar Amin on Stream Wireless Video from Canon DSLR to HDMI Monitor with $30 Dollar Google Chromecast
- Seema on GoPro HERO4 Overheating Battery BacPac Test 3 – Surprise it may be your Camera
- peter on Varavon Limited Time ‘Hot Deals’ Save Hundreds on Select Items
- Marina on New CAME-TV 7800 Version 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Emm on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- kicap on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- Ron on Panasonic DMC-G7 4K Video M43 Mirrorless Camera + FREE $249 AudioTechnica AT8024 Shotgun Mic DEAL