DIY Steadicam Smoothee Mod – Cheesycam Baby Merlin
January 30, 2012
Yup, within the first few minutes the Steadicam Smoothee walked through the door it was laying helplessly in pieces on my workbench. As I suspected, it’s quite easy to modify this little stabilizer. With a quick release adapter, a top stage that can be fine tuned Left/Right & Forward/Back for easy balance, and one of the smoothest Gimbals on the market, i’m calling this the ‘Cheesycam Baby Merlin‘. If you haven’t seen how smooth the Gimbal is, check out the earlier video (here).
The original Steadicam Merlin will run you about $800 dollars (click here to see), and I know there’s a ton of people who want something similar for their GH2 or Sony NEX5n cameras. With this DIY, you can have just about the same features for 1/5th the price! Here’s how I went about the mod.
Peel Back the sticker at the base and you’ll find a few small screws. Remove the metal plates inside so you can drill through the base.
I reassembled the base (without the metal plates) and then drilled through the center (almost center – oops). Using a 3/8″ Drill Bit, I was able to stuff a 1/4 x 20 coupler perfectly inside.
On the underside of the coupler, I added a washer and 1/4×20 screw to keep it from pulling through the top. On top I added my weight bracket. You could use just about anything here, and my counterweight was at 13.6 oz. which is needed to counter balance the 5D Mark II + 50mm F/1.4 (2.6lbs total).
If you want to build your own counterbalance that can swing left to right, and allow you to adjust weights up or down, check out this little mock-up using basic off the shelf parts (below). An Eye Bolt will be at the top of your counterweight setup (attached to the base of the Smoothee). A threaded coupler will allow you to attach a long all-thread rod. You can use heavy washers on the rod and a pass-through thumb knob at the bottom. You’ll probably need a second thumb knob above the washers to clamp them down. If you need to make it less bottom heavy adjust the weights upwards. If you need to make it more bottom heavy, adjust the weights downwards.
Or you could also start with one of these slotted metal Dual Camera brackets to build up your swinging counterweight system.
Dual Metal Camera Bracket
Not really a cost saving idea, but If you really wanted that finished look like mine has, then here’s where I cannablized the lower counterweight bracket from.
Opteka Video Camera Stabilizer
For the Quick Release plate, I used a hacksaw to cut straight across and filed it down flat.
Drilled a hole down the middle of the QR plate, and added a screw underneath. I had to trim a bit underside to get the screw to fit.
There you go! A modified Steadicam Smoothee made into the Cheesycam Baby Merlin. A nice stabilizer with an adjustable top stage, a Quick release mount, Fine Tuning knobs for quick balance, and adjustable weights underneath with movement to counterbalance uneven weight.
Originally modified to use with my Sony HX9V or Canon S100, but sturdy enough to rock my Canon 5D Mark II + 50mm F/1.4 (2.6lbs.) This is a no-brainer awesome Stabilizer for all kinds of smaller cameras like the Micro Four Thirds, or Sony NEX5n / NEX-7 type cameras. Right now these little Smoothee stabilizers are on sale (click here).
Steadicam Smoothee for GoPro and iPhone
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
- Can you modify a Steadicam Smoothee? » CheesyCam
- GH2 on Baby Merlin (modded Smoothee) » CheesyCam
- Steadicam Smoothee Modified – Baby Merlin » CheesyCam
- GH2 on Baby Merlin (modified Steadicam Smoothee) » CheesyCam
- Lensse DSLRPro Stabilizer Demo » CheesyCam
- DIY Baby Merlin (Steadicam Smoothee) Shaved Base » CheesyCam
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Apostolos on Over 40% OFF AJA CION 4K/UHD and 2K/HD Production Camera
- Dave Grant on Over 40% OFF AJA CION 4K/UHD and 2K/HD Production Camera
- g-dot on Over 40% OFF AJA CION 4K/UHD and 2K/HD Production Camera
- Konova Peter on Konova Tripod Stability Arm for Video Sliders
- Emm on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal
- Johnny on NEW CAME-TV SINGLE Pistol Grip Gimbal Stabilizer and CAME-MINI Version 2 Tool-Less Gimbal
- Rob S. on Benro Aero S2 & S4 Travel Tripods and New BV4 and BV6 Video Tripods
- Dan K. on Benro Aero S2 & S4 Travel Tripods and New BV4 and BV6 Video Tripods