I’m sure many of you already know about this particular Velbon fluid head. It’s been a hit for a while now, and I thought it was finally time for me to test one out. As much as possible I love shooting with smaller cameras, and this fluid head was a great surprise. Works great as a spare head on the Konova slider instead of using the static Ball Head (and cheaper too).
If you’re just starting out with a GH2, Olympus Pen, or Sony NEX-5n camera you’ll get some truly fluid movements with this sub $30 dollar fluid head. It’s no wonder this fluid head gets rave reviews over at Amazon and B&HPhoto websites. Best bang for the buck no doubt. Here’s a few things to keep in mind about the Velbon. It’s plastic, all plastic (except for a bit of metal on the pan bar). Although it doesn’t feel fragile to break in under your camera, it’s not designed to be thrown underneath all your other heavy equipment or to be tossed around.
Size Comparison (Left) Manfrotto 701HDV (Right) Velbon Fluid Head
Don’t get the bundled tripods as i’ve heard nothing but horror stories. You’d be better off buying another one like the 190XDB from Manfrotto (found here). Don’t overload the thing. I used a Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 100mm Macro F/2.8 which worked well, but the head does not have a ‘balance’ feature so it wanted to tilt forward with the heavy lens. It’s too bad the build quality comes in short, because the performance is truly amazing for such a cheap head. Often you’ll find the head on sale as low as $26 dollars, and for a spare head on your DSLR video slider, track dolly, or even one for your Monopod it’s a deal. You can find them on sale at B&H (click here)
Velbon Fluid Video Tripod head – via Amazon
- Velbon PH-368 – Back In Stock » CheesyCam
- Manfrotto 732CY M-Y Carbon Fiber Tripod » CheesyCam
- Velbon PH-368 Fluid Head – Back In Stock » CheesyCam
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on Listec PW-04 Mobile Teleprompter for Android iOS Devices
- Jordan M on Listec PW-04 Mobile Teleprompter for Android iOS Devices
- Emm on Tilta BMPCC BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Cage
- Srg on Tilta BMPCC BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Cage
- Bruce Philpott on Listec PW-04 Mobile Teleprompter for Android iOS Devices
- Paul C on Listec PW-04 Mobile Teleprompter for Android iOS Devices
- Josef on Tilta BMPCC BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Cage
- Emm on Can you modify a Steadicam Smoothee?
Black Friday Deals - Advertisement