Here’s an unboxing of the new Aputure Amaran 528 LED Video lights along with a few tests to show the difference in spread (diffusion) and light output. [Note: The readings on the C-500 Light Meter may not be accurate with the full spectrum of LED lighting, but should provide a baseline for comparison between the lights. Do not accept my readings as an accurate source for each manufacturers specifications]
The lights are about the size of an iPad (not as thin), so carrying around a three piece lighting kit should be an easy task. For a very portable solution, these ultra portable Light Stands are a great combination (found here). The three different Amaran LED Video lights share mostly the same features which include a Digital brightness display, Double power supply system (battery or AC), the ability to charge batteries from the unit while being powered by AC, a Battery power indicator, and all come with a nice Carrying case.
The AL-528W is an all daylight color temp rated at 5500K and throws a 75 degree beam angle.
The AL-528S is an all daylight color temp rated at 5500K but throws only at a 25 degree beam angle (spotlight type effect).
The AL-528C throws at the 75 degree beam angle, but can adjust color between 3200K-5500K using two sets of different color LED bulbs.
Batteries can be charged in the LED Light Unit
The unit DOES NOT come with batteries. You will have to purchase a set of Sony NPF style batteries, but you don’t need to purchase a charger, since the Amaran LED light allows you to charge the batteries while mounted to the LED light (I haven’t tested how long to charge a battery). I have to admit, the digital display does come in handy when you’re monitoring power from a glance. Why doesn’t all LED lights have this?
The Digital display shows you Kelvin temp and Power output. I don’t know how accurate this is, but I can see this being very useful if you’re trying to match the color or the brightness between three (or more) different lights. I have more tests to do, but for more information on the Aputure Amaran AL528W, AL528S, and AL528C, they can be found at eBay (click here).
Aputure AL-528W LED Video Light Panels
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- VillageBoi on Azden SGM-250 Shotgun Microphone vs Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone
- Southerndude on S1A1 Single Axis Motion Control Add-on for Shark Video Sliders
- Emm on Azden SGM-250 Shotgun Microphone vs Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone
- Emm on S1A1 Single Axis Motion Control Add-on for Shark Video Sliders
- hogo on S1A1 Single Axis Motion Control Add-on for Shark Video Sliders
- T2 on S1A1 Single Axis Motion Control Add-on for Shark Video Sliders
- Owen on Zhiyun Upgraded Z1 Evolution Handheld Gopro Gimbal
- Dan Rollins on Azden SGM-250 Shotgun Microphone vs Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone