I’ve been using the Zoom H1 and Tascam DR-08 as ‘body packs’ instead of using a Wireless setup. I’m still using the old Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Microphone setup, and I have to say that i’m quite happy with the workflow. You just can’t beat this combination for the price and speed in getting things setup. For more demanding audio, of course I have a different set of tools. In my book, I found a clear winner as far as the type of work this combination is being used for, and it’s the Zoom H1. Why? Leaving it at the highest bitrate for basic short audio capture provides you under 1 hour on a 2GB microSD card and they both work great. You can drop down the audio bitrate and grab yourself more time, but what if you really need even more? Well I just shot a few events in which this setup was used, so to be safe we needed to go with the 8GB MicroSD Cards that I showed in this post: http://cheesycam.com/canon-60d-shipping-actually-shipped/. BTW, they’ve been working flawlessy and such a good price for those microSD Cards.
Unfortunately, possibly a Tascam Firmware issue, the Tascam DR-08 could not see the 8GB microSD card. Only the Zoom H1 was able to see and utilize the full 8GB providing 4 times more recording time. You never know how long it’s going to take for an event to get started, or how long until it’s over, so I just felt safer with the unit that can house the larger microSD card. Here’s another tip that’s a bit related. Regular batteries don’t stand a fair chance with today’s electronics. I hear many people complaining about how fast a battery grip with AA’s, LED lights, or an Audio Recorder can run down batteries very quickly. I push the Eneloop batteries not only because they are rechargeable, but because they DO hold 4 times more capacity than a regular battery. If you want to use your Zoom H1 as a body pack, give it a fighting chance and put some quality batteries in.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Bento on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- Q on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Joseph on Save $500 Now BlackMagic Design Production 4K Instant Rebate
- Liszon on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- julian on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- hogo on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- Antonio Pantoja on Save $500 Now BlackMagic Design Production 4K Instant Rebate
- Emm on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo