BlackMagic Design has announced an amazing Production 4K Camera, and it’s still based on the same form factor as the BlackMagic Deisgn 2.5K Cinema Camera. For those who may be thinking about shooting with these cameras, one of the first things to consider is an external battery option. Although the camera can operate with the internal battery, it is good practice to work an external solution. When the external battery runs low, you can quickly swap the external battery without powering down the camera.
One of the popular solutions so far for the BlackMagic Cinema Cameras is the Powerbase-70 from Switronix. The Powerbase-70 Battery Pack (w/ optional Charger) should provide you with an additional 4-6 hours of runtime, and via an optional XP power regulation cable, the battery can also power two additional 12V and lower-voltage devices at the same time as powering the camera.
The Switronix Powerbase can be mounted on a basic 1/4-20 accessory thread with a built-in quick release system for fast swaps. The battery is basically a V-mount that will also work with many popular LED Panels, and other accessories that run off of V-Mount solutions, so for some this may be worth the value. Check out the Switronix Powerbase-70 via B&H (click here).
Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery for BlackMagic Production 4K / Cinema Camera
To mount the Switronix Powerbase-70 on the rear of the rig for use as a counterweight, i’ve added this cheese plate that can be reconfigured to sit horizontally or vertically. I picked up this 15mm Clamp Cheese Plate via eBay (found here).
15mm Clamp Cheese Plate Mount
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Chris K. on DIY 3D Printed Filter Clamp for Cinema Prime Lenses WonderPana Filter Holder
- Emm on Hybrid Gimbal – Merging CAME-TV Mini2 with CAME-TV SINGLE
- jsfilmz on Hybrid Gimbal – Merging CAME-TV Mini2 with CAME-TV SINGLE
- Emm on Reasons to Upgrade to the new Sony A7sII Camera
- jsfilmz on Reasons to Upgrade to the new Sony A7sII Camera
- T2 on Kamerar QV-1 M LCD View Finder for Mirrorless Systems
- Patrick on CAME-TV CAME-SINGLE + PilotFly H1 + NEBULA 4000 Comparisons
- Emm on Kamerar QV-1 M LCD View Finder for Mirrorless Systems