BlackMagic Design has announced an amazing Production 4K Camera, and it’s still based on the same form factor as the BlackMagic Deisgn 2.5K Cinema Camera. For those who may be thinking about shooting with these cameras, one of the first things to consider is an external battery option. Although the camera can operate with the internal battery, it is good practice to work an external solution. When the external battery runs low, you can quickly swap the external battery without powering down the camera.
One of the popular solutions so far for the BlackMagic Cinema Cameras is the Powerbase-70 from Switronix. The Powerbase-70 Battery Pack (w/ optional Charger) should provide you with an additional 4-6 hours of runtime, and via an optional XP power regulation cable, the battery can also power two additional 12V and lower-voltage devices at the same time as powering the camera.
The Switronix Powerbase can be mounted on a basic 1/4-20 accessory thread with a built-in quick release system for fast swaps. The battery is basically a V-mount that will also work with many popular LED Panels, and other accessories that run off of V-Mount solutions, so for some this may be worth the value. Check out the Switronix Powerbase-70 via B&H (click here).
Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery for BlackMagic Production 4K / Cinema Camera
To mount the Switronix Powerbase-70 on the rear of the rig for use as a counterweight, i’ve added this cheese plate that can be reconfigured to sit horizontally or vertically. I picked up this 15mm Clamp Cheese Plate via eBay (found here).
15mm Clamp Cheese Plate Mount
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Ben on F&V Z180 / Z96 High CRI UltraColor LED Video Lights
- Emm on Ready for 4K? Preorder your Panasonic DMC-GH4 Tonight
- Rick on Ready for 4K? Preorder your Panasonic DMC-GH4 Tonight
- Bubba on Ready for 4K? Preorder your Panasonic DMC-GH4 Tonight
- seenematic on Ready for 4K? Preorder your Panasonic DMC-GH4 Tonight
- Darren Levine on Osrso Inexpensive Mini Ball Heads for Accessories
- VanWeddings on Ready for 4K? Preorder your Panasonic DMC-GH4 Tonight
- Chris on [Upgraded] CAME 6000 2 Axis Gimbal w/ Side Handles