Spot the Difference – Gini Follow Focus
April 2, 2012
Above is a Gini iFocus Follow Focus I use, and have a video review about it (here). One of the shortcomings of this design is that the gear is not reversible, so it could be tricky trying to align it with short lenses, or sometimes you can’t get it far enough on short 15mm rods. The marking indicator is also at a fixed position so you have to be able to see this in use. Outside of those small issues, the iFollow Focus is one heavy well crafted solid unit, with almost no backlash.
Recently some images for Gini Rigs on auction show a slightly modified Follow Focus with a shaft (above). This clearly shows that the gear can now be removed from one side and installed on the opposite, making it a reversible Follow Focus. One thing I can’t seem to locate though is if there is a change with the marking indicator. Aside from the new shaft poking out the opposite side, it looks almost exactly like my iFocus. So the question is does the shaft design have more / less backlash or maybe it’s the same? There doesn’t seem to be an official name for this new FF, and he still has the original iFocus available on many bundles. If you’re shopping, look carefully when choosing a rig that comes with an FF. If you guys happen to get one of the new ones, would love to see more about the differences.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Tushar Amin on Stream Wireless Video from Canon DSLR to HDMI Monitor with $30 Dollar Google Chromecast
- Seema on GoPro HERO4 Overheating Battery BacPac Test 3 – Surprise it may be your Camera
- peter on Varavon Limited Time ‘Hot Deals’ Save Hundreds on Select Items
- Marina on New CAME-TV 7800 Version 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Emm on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- kicap on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- Ron on Panasonic DMC-G7 4K Video M43 Mirrorless Camera + FREE $249 AudioTechnica AT8024 Shotgun Mic DEAL
- Emm on New CAME-TV 7800 Version 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer