DIY – Simple Flexible Tripod Mod
October 27, 2011
Here’s a very simple mod you can do with a Fotopro Transformer tripod or sometimes called the Polaroid All Terrain tripod. Available in ugly chrome and Gunmetal Grey. When choosing, be aware that some packages don’t come with all the pieces. It’s probably found under several different names too, but basically it’s a flexible tripod with swappable feet and uses the standard 1/4×20 thread.
1) Flexible tripod with removable feet
2) (3pcs) 1.5″ 1/4-20 bolts & (3pcs) 1/4-20 jam nut,
3) (3pcs) basic skate wheels and bearings. Could be Rollerblade or skateboard wheels.
4) About 30 seconds of time out of your day…
When unscrewing the feet from these tripods, they are on pretty firm. Don’t worry, just wrench them off, they are indeed removable. The 1/4-20 bolt is not a perfect fit (a bit smaller), but it really doesn’t matter once it’s rolling. Just don’t crank down the bearings too tight or the wheel won’t move as freely. This particular tripod isn’t built for huge cameras, but should do fine for cameras around 3lbs. For anything heavier, I still recommend at least the Pico Flex table Dolly.
Something like this is perfect for camera sizes like the Sony HX9V or GH2. Find these tripods on both eBay (click here)
FotoPro Flexible Transformer Tripod – via eBay
and also via Amazon (click here).
FotoPro Flexible Tripod Rubber Suction Spiked Feet – via Amazon
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Scott on DIY Gimbal Stabilizer Support Backpack
- Emm on Z1 Rider Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Cameras Review and Sample Footage
- Patrick on Z1 Rider Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Cameras Review and Sample Footage
- Bruce on Kamerar Mark II Video Sliders now with Full Bearings
- Fionn on Z1 Rider Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Cameras Review and Sample Footage
- Joe Bourke on Movo Magic Ball Multi Adapter w/6 Rods for Mounting Accessories
- Danny on Z1 Rider Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Cameras Review and Sample Footage
- Stanley on 1000w Fresnel LED Product Overview