DIY – Simple Flexible Tripod Mod
October 27, 2011
Here’s a very simple mod you can do with a Fotopro Transformer tripod or sometimes called the Polaroid All Terrain tripod. Available in ugly chrome and Gunmetal Grey. When choosing, be aware that some packages don’t come with all the pieces. It’s probably found under several different names too, but basically it’s a flexible tripod with swappable feet and uses the standard 1/4×20 thread.
1) Flexible tripod with removable feet
2) (3pcs) 1.5″ 1/4-20 bolts & (3pcs) 1/4-20 jam nut,
3) (3pcs) basic skate wheels and bearings. Could be Rollerblade or skateboard wheels.
4) About 30 seconds of time out of your day…
When unscrewing the feet from these tripods, they are on pretty firm. Don’t worry, just wrench them off, they are indeed removable. The 1/4-20 bolt is not a perfect fit (a bit smaller), but it really doesn’t matter once it’s rolling. Just don’t crank down the bearings too tight or the wheel won’t move as freely. This particular tripod isn’t built for huge cameras, but should do fine for cameras around 3lbs. For anything heavier, I still recommend at least the Pico Flex table Dolly.
Something like this is perfect for camera sizes like the Sony HX9V or GH2. Find these tripods on both eBay (click here)
FotoPro Flexible Transformer Tripod – via eBay
and also via Amazon (click here).
FotoPro Flexible Tripod Rubber Suction Spiked Feet – via Amazon
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Efren on Self Balancing Two Wheel Scooter – Segway Like
- Herbert_r on Zoom H1 Battery Drain?
- Bryan on How to Balance a Glidecam , Steadicam, Flycam DSLR Stabilizer
- NATHANIEL OKRAH on Rode VideoMic GO On-Camera Shotgun Microphone
- Leandro on Yongnuo YN-300 LED Video Light Test
- Emm on Balancing Panasonic GH4 on CAME-MINI 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Joachim Lindenmann on Balancing Panasonic GH4 on CAME-MINI 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Emm on Nebula 4000 vs DIY 3 Axis Mini Gimbal Frame for GH4 A7s BMPCC