About a year ago I wrote an article about the Parrot AR Drone (new at the time) and how it would be fun to fly a GoPro HD on it. The biggest limiting factor at the time was that it operated over a WiFi connection to an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad. This gave very limited range and if the connection was lost, the unit would go stray.
In the recent months there’s been plenty of mods and mounts for these inexpensive AR Drone Quadcopters, including 2.4g Radio Control (no more wifi iphone). The mods allow you to fly the units further and higher. Not a perfect solution, but miles ahead of it’s original intent to fly on just Wifi alone. Looks like lots of fun. With the new GoProHD Hero 2 quality should be even better. Vimeo member Chad Johnson has some good information in the video (below).
One of the most important parts you’ll need to start (aside from the Drone) is the modified Radio Control kit found below.
Modified AR Drone 2.4g Radio Kit
There’s plenty of these Parrot Quadcopters being auctioned over at eBay (click here)
Parrot AR Drone Quadcopter
You can find additional information about which websites with info and camera mounts over at Chad’s video page (click here).
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Owen on Canon EF Lens Speed Booster Adapter for Micro Four Thirds
- Emm on How To Balance CAME H4 Hand Held Stabilizer or Any Stabilizer
- Derrick on How To Balance CAME H4 Hand Held Stabilizer or Any Stabilizer
- SpartaBear on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- nate on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- freiheit on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo
- eikerir on New Samyang 50mm T/1.5 Cine Lens
- juan on CAME-TV 8000 Heavy Duty 3 Axis Gimbal with RED Epic Demo