Nikon announces the D5100 and from the pricing and specs, it should be going head to head with the T3i market. [Thanks Andrew] It’s rocking 16MP against the T3i’s 18MP, but in today’s world those sizes don’t matter. It’s possibly Nikon will have better low light handling by sticking to this smaller size chip.
The D5100 includes a Vari-Angle LCD, External Mic input, 4fps burst photography, and finally some additional frame rates for video. Well maybe not so important frame rates as they’ve managed to start adding in 30fps to their 1080 recordings, but still nothing at 60fps. We’ll see if future higher end Nikon models will have that ability. Of course the camera will have ‘Full Time Auto and Manual Exposure’ in movie mode. Nikon is still including full time ‘Auto Focus’ during movie recording as well.
On the photography side there’s a ton of built in Filters and Effects, but also built in HDR photography mode. Something Sony seems to do with every camera, and Canon DSLR’s lack. They aren’t stopping there. They are also creating accessories for movie making like their ME-1 stereo microphone. Nikon’s new D5100 is priced right even against all the new competition. The cult like Photography following for Nikon glass can give this camera some penetration into the DSLR video market. The one problem Nikon has is availability. Every new release is extremely slow to become available and by the time you find it, there’s already something new. Let’s see how this one plays out. More in depth specs can be found on the Nikon page.
Should be available in May according to the link below.
Nikon D5100 16MP DSLR
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Minu on New Samyang 50mm T/1.5 Cine Lens
- Emm on New Samyang 50mm T/1.5 Cine Lens
- Daniel Hughes on New Samyang 50mm T/1.5 Cine Lens
- Samuel on Opteka FFR-900 Motorized Follow Focus Zoom Control
- Jonas on New Samyang 50mm T/1.5 Cine Lens
- Emm on 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers Now with Auto Tuning PID Settings Firmware Upgrade
- osiris Majestic on 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers Now with Auto Tuning PID Settings Firmware Upgrade
- Emm on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video