ND Filter Color Cast Testing
July 27, 2011
There’s probably at least 10 different ND Filters around the studio, most of them being a type of ‘Variable ND’ or ‘Fader Filter’. They are just so handy at getting the right exposure. Some of these filters use glass that will cast a purplish color, some more than others. Besides being able to confirm through reviewing your videos, here’s another way we found. It’s hard to see much difference by just holding it up to the light, and for some reason using the reflective surface from a Macbook works pretty well. As you can see two of the four don’t have any color cast even when we played around and dialed them to different ND stops. The other two always have this color cast even when dialing them up or down.
Keep in mind that this does not solely apply to ‘Variable’ filters, but a color cast can appear in static ND filters too. For static ND filters, it would be very obvious and won’t require you to flip them around. So I know you’re wondering, which two had the color cast? Polaroid ND Filters and Nicna (sometimes called Rainbow Imaging). The Polaroid was actually the one with the most Purple color cast. Which ones did not have a dramatic color cast? Fader ND and Nature did not cast. Of course we all know you can’t go wrong with the LightCraft Fader ND Filters, but for a slightly cheaper price I’m quite fond of the Nature brand Variable ND filters which you can find below.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Seema on GoPro HERO4 Overheating Battery BacPac Test 3 – Surprise it may be your Camera
- peter on Varavon Limited Time ‘Hot Deals’ Save Hundreds on Select Items
- Marina on New CAME-TV 7800 Version 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Emm on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- kicap on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal
- Ron on Panasonic DMC-G7 4K Video M43 Mirrorless Camera + FREE $249 AudioTechnica AT8024 Shotgun Mic DEAL
- Emm on New CAME-TV 7800 Version 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- robert on Varavon Wirecam Cable Cam System with DJI Ronin-M Gimbal