Have you ever tried adding a snoot to your LED Video Light to obtain a nice spot? This might work to prevent spill, but it doesn’t truly refocus the light output or improve throw distance. You can find plenty of halogen style lights, but the best thing about LED Lighting is low power consumption, low heat, and typically has the option to run on batteries for remote location use. Unless you want to lug around a huge light (like these), choices are limited when trying to find a good LED spotlight in a small form factor.
These KOLL Solari LED Lights on the other hand use an interesting fresnel lens filter that not only creates various sized spotlights, but actually refocuses the full light output making the spotlight brighter and allowing for further throw.
Three separate filter trays on the KOLL Solari are only a few millimeters apart, but can drastically change the size of the spotlight effect depending which slot you choose. The concentration of power into a single spotlight definitely works on these lights. Now i’m more curious to see what the L15 Spotlight (more than 3x brighter) would look like compared to this L3. Maybe i’ll get a chance to test this in the near future.
Koll Solari L3 LED Video Light Samples
Starting at around $350 dollars, these lights are pretty pricey, but while basic Barn Doors on LED lights won’t offer more than a simple light blocking, these Solari lights truly focus light output and improve throw in a portable compact design. The Solari uses high power LED bulbs and are available in an L3 LED Light (seen in video) Illuminance: 720 lx, L5 LED Light Illuminance: 1630 lx, and an L15 LED Light lluminance: 2300 lx.
More info and technical specs about the KOLL Solari On-Camera Spot Flood LED Video Lights can be found at the F&V website (Click Here)
Koll Solari L3 L5 L15 On-Camera LED Video Lights
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Emm on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Danny Schmidt on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Daniel Hughes on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Fe on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Southerndude on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Kyle Gordon on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Jacob Osborn on Design changes for 600 LED Light Panels?