GH2 on Baby Merlin (modded Smoothee)
January 31, 2012
So the goal was to modify this Steadicam Smoothee for lightweight cameras, but it was surprising to see it fly my Canon 5D Mark II + 50mm F/1.4 Lens. Getting back to the real reason for the mod, I tested out a smaller setup with the GH2 + 20mm Lens (total 1.2lbs). It took about 6.8oz of counterweight, but she balances just fine. In fact, I really think Tiffen should offer something like this for all the new smaller lightweight cameras coming out. If they can keep the price about the same, they’d make quite an impact. There’s some additional information in the video about the Quick Release mount and Counterweight attachment.
If you’re late to the party, you can find all the build information on modding a Steadicam Smoothee for your small cameras in the previous article (here).
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Amazon Black Friday Deals Available Now
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on F&V R-300 LED Video Ring Light Softbox Kit
- Mark on F&V R-300 LED Video Ring Light Softbox Kit
- Koichi Sakaguchi on Dual Operator Setup Idea for BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Cameras
- Emm on How To Perform 6 Point Calibration IMU Sensor for 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Sara on How To Perform 6 Point Calibration IMU Sensor for 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Emm on Bower 16mm T/2.2 Cine Lens and Vanguard Auctus 323AT Tripod Deal
- Aberracus on Bower 16mm T/2.2 Cine Lens and Vanguard Auctus 323AT Tripod Deal
- Southerndude on Homemade Custom Mini Gimbal for Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7s