EVF – Electronic Viewfinders
April 27, 2011
Left to Right – Cineroid EVF, Zacuto EVF, Redrock Micro EVF
Cineroid, Redrock, and Zacuto have all announced EVF (electronic view finder) solutions in the last year to change the very poor unbalanced ergonomics of DSLR video cameras. (Well RedRock doesn’t really exist -yet..). The pitch is that you spend a good amount of money on a 3″ LCD that can be used as a remote monitor, and then they add on a ‘Loupe’ to magnify the image and give you a clear image even in the bright sun. Sounds great, i’m totally sold on the idea, but wait. Here’s a few new EVF ideas to consider that might make you think a bit differently.
SmallHD DP4 – EVF
DSLR’s already have a 3″ LCD, so if you’re looking to add a remote monitor, why not go a bit bigger? Perhaps SmallHD’s newly annouced 4″ EVF remote monitor + LCD Loupe. This makes a bit more sense besides being ‘of the cheapest’ solutions. 4″ LCD gives you a bit more usability as a Remote LCD Monitor, and still a very large clear picture when using the Loupe attachment. Why is everyone else stuck on 3″?
Ok so the SmallHD looks like a winner in my book. One of the best displays with highly customizable features makes it a good bang for the buck. Now check out what Cinevate’s been up to. The Cyclops is already a ViewFinder Loupe for 3″ LCD’s, but with the right molds, it can be customized to suit any monitor including Sony’s new 5″ LCD HDMI monitor. BTW if you’re wondering, we did test the Sony LCD on our cameras. It works great and decently priced (for a 5″).
So if a 3″ LCD is just too small to make sense as a remote monitor, or even if a 4″ is just a bit undersized, hopefully Cinevate will be able to create adapters for their Cyclops element to mount to a variety of popular LCD’s. I wouldn’t mind having a Cyclops on my SmallHD DP6 5″ LCD.
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Rob S. on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Robert on Best Video Monopod Sirui vs Benro vs Manfrotto
- Enrique on 650 watt Lighting Kit Review – ‘As Arri’
- Cassius on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Craig on Kingjoy VT-3510 55 Dollar Video Head with Manfrotto 501 QR Compatible Plate
- Steve Rawlins on Z1 Rider GoPro HERO3 HERO4 Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Mounted on Audio Boom Pole
- OldCorpse on Best Video Monopod Sirui vs Benro vs Manfrotto