Left to Right – Cineroid EVF, Zacuto EVF, Redrock Micro EVF
Cineroid, Redrock, and Zacuto have all announced EVF (electronic view finder) solutions in the last year to change the very poor unbalanced ergonomics of DSLR video cameras. (Well RedRock doesn’t really exist -yet..). The pitch is that you spend a good amount of money on a 3″ LCD that can be used as a remote monitor, and then they add on a ‘Loupe’ to magnify the image and give you a clear image even in the bright sun. Sounds great, i’m totally sold on the idea, but wait. Here’s a few new EVF ideas to consider that might make you think a bit differently.
SmallHD DP4 – EVF
DSLR’s already have a 3″ LCD, so if you’re looking to add a remote monitor, why not go a bit bigger? Perhaps SmallHD’s newly annouced 4″ EVF remote monitor + LCD Loupe. This makes a bit more sense besides being ‘of the cheapest’ solutions. 4″ LCD gives you a bit more usability as a Remote LCD Monitor, and still a very large clear picture when using the Loupe attachment. Why is everyone else stuck on 3″?
Ok so the SmallHD looks like a winner in my book. One of the best displays with highly customizable features makes it a good bang for the buck. Now check out what Cinevate’s been up to. The Cyclops is already a ViewFinder Loupe for 3″ LCD’s, but with the right molds, it can be customized to suit any monitor including Sony’s new 5″ LCD HDMI monitor. BTW if you’re wondering, we did test the Sony LCD on our cameras. It works great and decently priced (for a 5″).
So if a 3″ LCD is just too small to make sense as a remote monitor, or even if a 4″ is just a bit undersized, hopefully Cinevate will be able to create adapters for their Cyclops element to mount to a variety of popular LCD’s. I wouldn’t mind having a Cyclops on my SmallHD DP6 5″ LCD.
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Kyle Gordon on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Jesse Brauning on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Emm on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Apostolos on NAB 2014: Libec ALLEX Tripod Slider Fluid Head Kit
- Juan Pinalez on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Lorenzo on Running Wires through CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal + Project Box Cover
- Steve Ellington on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- J Toha on F&V Spectra HD4 4.3″ Pro EVF LCD w/ HDMI SDI Loop Through and Conversion