So after the prototype DIY Jib Brackets touched down in the studio, I visited my local hardware store (Representing Orchard Hardware Supply, you know WestSide! Throwin’ up the ‘W’). Anyways, that’s what my shopping cart looked like with plain super lightweight AL square tubing on the left, and perforated square tubing to the right. The AL is 1″ and 3/4″ square tubes. On the right is 1.25″ + 1″ perforated tube which is easier to work with – no drilling required. Perforated tubes are not in every hardware store, but they are also not difficult to track down if you call your local Metal Market. You can see some of these on Amazon (seen here). With one tube larger than the other, you can create a telescoping jib. This of course is not necessary, you can just use one solid piece for both top and bottom. My top tube is 4ft. long and the bottom is 3ft. long.
These Prototype brackets were designed with Steel. Heavy duty stuff, and once all the parts are assembled, the structural integrity is solid. With this design, we were able to eliminate the requirement for welded parts, which is time consuming and costly for manufacturing jibs. Being able to offer just the brackets also saves the end user from shipping costs due to weight and length of packaging. Once you get your hands on these brackets (if the idea ever flies), then it literally takes a few minutes of assembly with basic nuts and bolts and you’ll be flying whatever size crane you can think of. A goal was to offer the complete set of brackets, nuts, bolts, nylon bearings, lock nuts, etc. for around $15 bucks. Will it happen? Don’t know, but it sure is fun playing with ideas….
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Saskatoon Wedding Films on News Release: Libec New for NAB 2014 ALLEX Tripod + Head + Slider
- Emm on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Emm on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Danny Schmidt on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Daniel Hughes on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- Fe on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip
- Southerndude on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Kyle Gordon on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus