DIY Video Crane / Jib with Custom Brackets
February 16, 2012
So after the prototype DIY Jib Brackets touched down in the studio, I visited my local hardware store (Representing Orchard Hardware Supply, you know WestSide! Throwin’ up the ‘W’). Anyways, that’s what my shopping cart looked like with plain super lightweight AL square tubing on the left, and perforated square tubing to the right. The AL is 1″ and 3/4″ square tubes. On the right is 1.25″ + 1″ perforated tube which is easier to work with – no drilling required. Perforated tubes are not in every hardware store, but they are also not difficult to track down if you call your local Metal Market. You can see some of these on Amazon (seen here). With one tube larger than the other, you can create a telescoping jib. This of course is not necessary, you can just use one solid piece for both top and bottom. My top tube is 4ft. long and the bottom is 3ft. long.
These Prototype brackets were designed with Steel. Heavy duty stuff, and once all the parts are assembled, the structural integrity is solid. With this design, we were able to eliminate the requirement for welded parts, which is time consuming and costly for manufacturing jibs. Being able to offer just the brackets also saves the end user from shipping costs due to weight and length of packaging. Once you get your hands on these brackets (if the idea ever flies), then it literally takes a few minutes of assembly with basic nuts and bolts and you’ll be flying whatever size crane you can think of. A goal was to offer the complete set of brackets, nuts, bolts, nylon bearings, lock nuts, etc. for around $15 bucks. Will it happen? Don’t know, but it sure is fun playing with ideas….
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Dustin on Convert Old Sony NPF L Series or LP-E6 Chargers to External Battery Power for Sony A7s etc
- Victor on REMOVU R1 Live View Remote for GoPro HERO3 / HERO3+ / HERO4
- Jim on DIY Gimbal Stabilizer Support Backpack
- wideofilmowanie lublin on REMOVU R1 Live View Remote for GoPro HERO3 / HERO3+ / HERO4
- Dragan Bozorovic on 2 Minutes of Uncut Video Footage Demo DIY 3-Axis MiniGimbal Kit
- Lester on Homemade Custom Mini Gimbal for Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7s
- Scott on DIY Gimbal Stabilizer Support Backpack
- Emm on Z1 Rider Mini 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Cameras Review and Sample Footage