Nick Bicanic from http://www.purposelabs.com does a better job than I did with his DIY Steadicam Smoothee (a.k.a Baby Merlin) by shaving down the entire platform to get a perfect fit for his quick release adapter [Thanks Nick]. That little bit of effort definitely makes it look much more solid mounting platform than adding a quick release on top of the stock mini quick release plate.
I drilled two holes by eye to match the threaded holes on an MH621 Giotto I had lying around. Both are 1/4″/20 – note that the front hole on the giotto as stock is not threaded. So for those of you who don’t have tap/die kits – you’ll have to use another method. (you could mount with the 3/8″ and a 1/4″ but I didn’t want to take off that much material.
Actually i was originally gonna shave it totally flat but then I realised that the way it’s built that might not work (e.g. it could no longer be screwed together. You can see on the picture how far I decided to go.
This is clearly a one-way street – because if you screw it up you gotta buy another one..ha
That said – I got it right by eye first time – the only extra thing is a washer – see the second picture:
(one washer sanded down to fit) the reason for the washer is to tighten the bottom bracket of the quick release – otherwise the thin plastic would flex.
End result is awesome. Btw I didn’t use washers at the bottom to spread the load because the bolts sit right on top of the plastic crossbeams themselves.
Here’s a picture of how it sits together – very tight and solid.
btw not a lot of clearance down there – so I used hex button bolts.
Tools/hardware needed beyond the usual tools for the original mod are pretty much just those two bolts. (dremel + drill does the rest). Only tricky part is threading the baseplate if it isn’t already done
If you guys aren’t familiar with this project, it’s basically taking the cheap Steadicam Smoothee (originally for GoPro or iPhone) and modifying it to fly other cameras like a Canon DSLR. The Smoothee provides you with fine tuning knobs to help get you balanced much like the $800 dollar Steadicam Merlin. You can find the details on that DIY Steadicam project here: http://cheesycam.com/diy-steadicam-smoothee-mod-cheesycam-baby-merlin/
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC/SDXC UHS-II Memory Card for 4K Video Recording
- hoang on SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC/SDXC UHS-II Memory Card for 4K Video Recording
- Southerndude on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Antz on Aputure DEC Canon EF Lens Adapter Adjust Iris + Wireless Follow Focus
- PATRICK LOCKERMAN on Proaim’s New BasePlate for ViewFinder
- Saskatoon Wedding Films on News Release: Libec New for NAB 2014 ALLEX Tripod + Head + Slider
- Emm on CAME 7000 3 Axis Gimbal First Impression and Demo Video
- Emm on Correct Tripod Mount Alignment with GH3 / GH4 Battery Grip