Canon announced new 1DX DSLR
October 18, 2011
All the rumors were true about Canon releasing a new camera (finally). The latest 1DX camera is a merger between the 1D and 1Ds high end professional cameras. According to the article at Engadget, the new 1DX will be an 18MP camera, have a top ISO of 204,000 and pretty average video frame rates and resolutions already available – (no full 1080 @ 60fps?).
The camera has a 61-point high density reticular AF system, 252-zone metering system, a 14 fps JPEG (or 12 fps RAW) burst mode, and really looks like it was targeted for the professional photographer. Video quality from the new full frame will be better than all other current Canon DSLR cameras with a few new compression methods, less noise, less moire, and aliasing, but the price tag of $6,800 doesn’t seem like it will rock the DSLR video market as a game changer (for the average consumer).
It’s an amazing camera on it’s own right, but Sony and Panasonic are also continuing to release new cameras that merge DSLR and Video for a cheaper price. Wondering if they’ll give us clean HDMI out too for capturing video externally? Hopefully you didn’t sell off your 5D Mark IIs before this announcement expecting this would be your next camera (I’d buy it though..lol). This certainly blows away expectations for Professional Canon Photographers, but I don’t think this is the camera Canon had in mind specifically to rock the dslr video market. I think the next few camera announcements we hear from Canon will be the one HD DSLR shooters are all waiting for. ETA for 1Dx available in March 2012.
[Update] Here’s from the Canon website on
Popular Gear / Equipment Deals / Industry News
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Daniel on DIY Your Own Video Monopod – Modified Monopods with Fluid Tripod Foot for Video
- Emm on DIY Gimbal Stabilizer Support Backpack
- andy zou on Tascam DR-70D Audio Recorder w Stereo Mics 4 XLR Inputs
- Joey on DIY Gimbal Stabilizer Support Backpack
- Emm on Unboxing the CAME-TV 7500 7800 RTR 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers
- Nick on Unboxing the CAME-TV 7500 7800 RTR 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers
- Jack D. on DIY Retractable Compact Camera Holster Hand Held Stabilizer
- bart on Nebula 4000 vs DIY 3 Axis Mini Gimbal Frame for GH4 A7s BMPCC