You’ve seen me test these 12″ CFL ring lights before, but this time we’re testing out a larger 18″ version to be used in portraits adding a nice catch light (reflections in the eyes). Not only is it a very unique stylized reflection, but the lighting is very soft, broad, and well diffused. LED Ring lights can’t perform as well as these when it comes to closeup diffusion, but the small caveat is you’ll need to be tied to an outlet (no battery power options for the 18″ version, smaller 150w versions have battery options).
Being close to an outlet source wouldn’t be a problem since we would normally set up additional lights around the area along with the Diva Ring. In this sample video we chose not to setup other lights to show how well this single type of light source could perform in close range diffusion. You can use this centered to the camera, off camera, or above. Great lighting if you don’t mind being close to an outlet source. The largest ring lights can be found at the dvestore (click here) and smaller versions can be found at this article: http://cheesycam.com/the-fluorescent-ring-light-review/.
Leave a Comment
Recent Comments on Cheesycam
- Emm on Can you modify a Steadicam Smoothee?
- Mark T. on Can you modify a Steadicam Smoothee?
- mcmillanroad on Tilta BMPCC BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Cage
- Corduroy Panda on RedRock Micro One Man Crew + Kessler Parallax Slider + $10 DIY Version
- Julien on Tilta BMPCC Cage Rig for BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Cameras
- mad on Western Digital 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive $29
- scottrellwi on Western Digital 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive $29
- Steve M. on Western Digital 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive $29
Black Friday Deals - Advertisement